Build your own single-stringed musical instrument!
NO DRILLING REQUIRED. See list of common hand tools needed below.
We discovered this fun musical instrument on a vacation in the Smokey mountains. After building several for my family, my dad and I designed and built this kit for a school event. The kids LOVED building these and their parents sent us photos of them playing them. We decided that we should offer these kits for others to enjoy!
The canjo is a fun instrument that kids LOVE to build and play. Very easy to build, even easier to play. The kit includes the “stick” body with frets installed, filed, and sanded along with the tuner, installation screws, and even a string. Just add your own can – just about any can will work (see photo for examples.)
What you will receive:
- Wooded body cut, drilled, and sanded with frets installed and filed smooth
- Guitar tuning machine
- Screw “nut”
- Screw eye tail
- String (.13 gauge)
- Detailed assembly instructions with pictures
If ordering the kit, you will need:
- A can: soda cans of various sizes, soup can, etc.
- #2, #0 Philips screwdrivers
- Hot melt glue gun with glue stick
- Can opener
- Hammer and nail (to poke small hole in bottom of can)